This broccoli salad is gonna make you think differently about this pretty little green veggie.
So, there are a lot of versions of broccoli salad out there.
Many of them call for roughly the same ingredients; which is a salt/sweet combo that typically pleases most everybody with at least one taste bud.
AND, if you aren’t a fan of raw broccoli, this might be just want you need to change your picky ass mind.
Ok, really to be honest, I don’t love raw broccoli every time unless it’s the right circumstances. I’ll dip it in a sauce, a dressing, etc., but I would rather have it roasted or steamed.
This broccoli, however, is my favorite way to eat it raw.
It’s crunchy, salty, a little sweet, has just the right amount of creaminess and just the right amount of everything else.
I could literally eat the entire bowl of this and need nothing else, but I probably wouldn’t because of the GI symptoms that would follow. I’m just not a fan of all that roughage at one time.
However, this salad is INSANELY delicious.
The sunflower seeds are absolutely the perfect little crunch that this type of salad needs.
A layer of texture and contrast of bite…
It goes SO well with the cranberries.
The texture and sweetness is such a good contrast to the crunchy broccoli.
You could, however change it up if you’re not super happy about some of the add-ins.
Broccoli Salad Mix-In Substitutions:
- Pecans, or your favorite nut
- Kale, if you like that shit
- Carrots, another good crunch, although it will add a tad of bitterness that I don’t love in my life
- Raisins, or other dried fruit, chopped
- Cheese, I think sharp white cheddar like Cabot Farmhouse Reserve would be great (it’s unbelievable, my favorite hands down)
- Beans, white beans or garbanzos would work
- Chow mein noodles, another texture layer
This stuff disappears fast, so if you’re taking it to a football party I would suggest doubling the recipe. Or to any get-together for that reason.
Here’s the printable –