Just a few days ago I posted my Crock Pot French Dips. So good…such a fantastic weeknight dinner. I had enough leftovers for lunch the next day and STILL had more.
It was sooo good I couldn’t let it go to waste.
So, what does one do with leftover slow cooked French Dip beef? One makes French Dip Mac ‘n Cheese. Then pours it over crispy french fries, of course.
I made the mac and cheese, stirred in the beef and then I added just enough of the au jus to completely moisten it and give it a good French Dip taste.
Don’t forget the bacon on top. It just really rounds the whole gluttonous/sinful/beautiful mess out.
I think next time I’m gonna dip them in Ranch dressing. I know, it’s adding gluttony to gluttony. But if I’m going as far as making French Dip macaroni and cheese covered french fries, why not dip them in Ranch? A spicy ranch would be good, too.
Please forgive the terribly manicured nails; that’s nothing new and probably will never change.
p.s. Aren’t you surprised I didn’t add jalapenos?
French Dip Mac ‘N Cheese Smothered French Fries
- 1 package shell macaroni and cheese (I used Velveeta)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- Leftover shredded beef, with a few tablespoons of au jus (I had about 4 cups)
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips (put them into a bowl filled with cold water as you cut them)
- Canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions and while hot, add shredded cheese and milk, combine until melted.
- Add shredded beef, adding au jus to taste.
- Drain the fries and dry completely.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry potatoes in batches, until slightly brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small casserole dish (or au gratin) arrange french fries, top with macaroni and cheese, then bacon. Bake until bubbly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Top with parsley and serve.
p.s.s. Wait, why didn’t I?