They’re kinda life changing.
I know, I know – I’m perpetually on a slider kick, but these are special. It’s the entire combination of flavors that get me here. The onions are caramelized in a sauce called Sweet Black Pepper Anytime Sauce from Stubbs BBQ that’s off the damn charts. I love this stuff.
I made the flank steak the way I typically cook my steaks, which is seared on the stove and put in a 500 degree oven for about a minute. Don’t over cook it, and let it rest before you cut it and it will be perfect.
The blue cheese sauce is just, well, it’s pure crack like.
You can use whatever type of buns you have on hand; these are Hawaiian Jalapeno rolls. It compliments the sweet black pepper sauce and blue cheese beautifully, but feel free to sub other bread if you want. I think these would be awesome on Ciabatta.
Regular dinner rolls would even work. You’re gonna want to get every single drop of the blue cheese sauce, I promise.
Here’s your printable-
- 1 lb. flank steak, brought to room temperature
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 stick salted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup Stubb's Sweet Black Pepper Anytime Sauce
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slider buns
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet over high heat.
- Add steak, drizzle with Worcestershire and sear for 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer steaks to oven and cook for an additional minute or two on each side, until desired doneness; place them on a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place skillet back on stove over medium low, add 1/4 stick salted butter and onions. Add salt and caramelize for about 3 minutes; then add Black Pepper sauce. Continue to stir until onions are translucent. Remove onions from pan and cover, but keep heat on.
- Add 1/2 stick butter and flour, whisking until thick (won't take long), then add milk, blue cheese, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Whisk until thickened, salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Cut steak to fit slider buns; assemble by placing steak on bottom portion of slider bun, followed by onions and blue cheese sauce.