If you’re still resolutioning – take a little break from all that and make these.
Fried pickled onions.
Just trust me. Then you can go right back to what you were doing with your Atkins or whatever it is you’re resolutioning with.
They’re worth it, I promise, and unresolutioning for a minute won’t really change your life, even significantly. Pinky swear.
I don’t really remember what made me want to pickle onions other than the fact that I have random ideas when it comes to food, but they really are insanely delicious. As a matter of fact, my most crazy, random (usually late at night) ideas end up being the best.
I put these on a burger and OMG.
Other than putting them on burgers, I also dipped them in Ranch, buffalo sauce (I used Moore’s, of course) and this white cheese dip made with Cabot’s superior cheese.
Try them all – Here’s your printable.
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tbsp pickling spice (if you don't have this it will still be ok)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3 cups canola oil
- Bottled Ranch dressing, Buffalo sauce
- This White Cheese Dip
- Combine onion slices, vinegar and pickling spice in a jar and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal and seasoned salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk and egg together.
- Drain onions on thick paper towels, dredge in flour mixture, dip in buttermilk mixture, then dredge in flour mixture AGAIN.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees; add onions and fry for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and salt to taste.
- Serve with dipping sauces.