Recently, I was contacted by Yummly on behalf of Hellmann’s Mayonnaise to participate in their 100th birthday celebration.
To celebrate, Hellmann’s has teamed up with celebrity chef Mario Batali to showcase how decades of delicious meals start with real, quality ingredients. So, I had the opportunity to revamp not just a recipe – but one of six recipes made by Mario himself.
Lucky girl, right?
I chose to redo his Salsa Burger, which looks fantastic. I had a few ideas; and you know I had jalapenos in mind. When do I not?
But, this time, it was habaneros that won.
It’s a freakin’ burger volcano.
Well, actually, it’s fabulous beef burger with Hellmann’s mayo and worcestershire sauce mixed in, topped with habanero cheese sauce, mango pico de gallo and guacamole.
That was a mouthful.
Mango Pico de Gallo Burger with Habanero Cheese Sauce and Guacamole
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 dash vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt, or more to taste
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lb. ground round
- 1 1/2 tbsp Hellmann's mayo
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz. block habanero cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 burger buns
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Hellmann's Mayo
- Green leaf lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the Pico, combine onion through salt.
- Mash avocado and add about 2-3 tbsp of the Pico; mix really well, cover and refrigerate.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground round through garlic powder and form into burger patties. Put in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cornstarch over cheese and toss to combine. Bring the milk to a boil over low heat and add cheese; whisk consistently until thickened; about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- Heat a cast iron skill over medium high heat (or you could grill, broil, etc.). Add burgers, with space in between, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flatten the burgers with a big spatula and flip.
- Cook for another two minutes, or until as done as you want them. Remove from heat.
- Brush butter on all sides of buns and toast in oven for about 2 minutes, until browned.
- To make burgers - on the bottom bun slather Hellmann's mayo generously, followed by lettuce, burger, cheese sauce, pico and finally guacamole.
Now, go here to join the Hellmann’s Blue Ribbon table, co-create a recipe with Mario Batali and enter for a chance to win a seat at the World’s Longest Picnic Table for Hellmann’s 100th birthday celebration in September. As part of the brand’s 100th birthday celebration, Hellmann’s is helping provide one million meals to Feeding America to help the fight against hunger nationwide.
Yes, it’s as delicious as it looks.
Just have plenty of napkins.