You need some warm comfort food for your Sunday…don’t you.
Yes, of course you do. You’re going to want to put aside a little time and make these – so worth it.
Remember a few days ago when I told you about the perfect pretzel dough recipe? Here’s another recipe using it. This is like a version of my lasagna I like to make, but stuffed into a big fat pretzel.
Italian sausage, spinach and mozzarella cheese stuffed into a pretzel bun.
They’re pretty intense.
You could dunk them in some marinara; but it’s optional. They’re soooo good by themselves.
I’m addicted to the pretzel alone.
Here’s your printable-
Italian Sausage, Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Pretzel Buns
- Pretzel Dough from Oh Sweet Basil
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, browned and crumbled
- 6 oz. spinach, chopped
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Water, for boiling
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Sea salt
- Make pretzel dough and let it rise.
- Combine the sausage, spinach and cheese in a mixing bowl; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and smooth them into flat circular discs using your hands.
- Put a heaping tablespoon of sausage mixture into the center of each disc, then fold the pretzel dough around it to make a ball.
- Add the baking soda to a large stock pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Very gently add the pretzel buns to the boiling water, just a few at a time, and boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove using a slotted spoon to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.