This recipe, my lovely friends, is pretty typical me, but yet, special. What is Cowboy Caviar? It’s simply black eyed peas, shoepeg corn, petite diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro and diced jalapenos in a red wine or balsamic (based on my mood) vinaigrette.
Y’all – It’s Southern Black Eyed Pea Salsa.
I’ve made so many picos and salsas. But this one I recreate over and over. I cannot get enough of it, and I want to share my ideas with y’all about using these versatile dishes.
I could literally make nachos out of ANYTHING. I so do that.
I make this probably weekly or every other week, depending on how fast it goes from the fridge. And I make it differently every time depending on what I have on hand.
It’s definitely a staple when I’m working. Since I work 12 hour shifts I eat a tiny breakfast, have lunch and then I’m just a little hungry when I get home around 8. I don’t want a big meal – especially when I have to go to work the next morning, but I do want a little something. It’s easy to pull a bowl of this out of the fridge and snack on it with pita or tortilla chips.
Then I’m good, and it’s time to get ready for the next 12.
Today I poured it over Tostito Scoops, covered it with cheese and baked it. Then topped them with an avocado cream sauce.
Here’s your printable-
Cowboy Caviar Nachos with Avocado Cream
- 1 14.5 oz. can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5. oz. can petite diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 1 11 oz. can white shoepeg corn
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, washed, 1 diced and 1 sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped (save some for topping)
- Tortilla chips
- 1 fresh jalapeno, washed and sliced into discs to top nachos
- 1 avocado, ripe and mashed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup whole cream (or whole milk)
- Salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl combine peas through pepper.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, salt and cilantro together. Combine with pea mixture, cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado, sour cream, lime juice and whole cream (or milk) together. Salt to taste.
- To serve, place chips on a plate and spoon pea salsa over, followed by avocado cream, jalapeno slices and fresh cilantro.