I hope I don’t offend any of Ally’s readers by what is below the photo of these burgers, but these are so fantastic I can’t help myself.
This is a Jamaican Jerk Caramelized Onion Burger from Ally’s Kitchen – A Passport for Adventurous Palates. Go and order it, like right now. The book rocks.
She’s so amazing and has been such an inspiration, advocate, advisor, etc. to me since starting my blogging journey over 4 1/2 years ago. I’m so proud and happy for her success, and she really deserves it.
And, you can’t deny how stinkin’ beautiful she is.
These burgers really did blow me away. What made me want to make this recipe was a few things. Jamaican Jerk seasoning, pepperoni, capers, olives and white cheddar incorporated in the beef – I mean, damn, what a combination.
AND on top of that – this is what killed me. The mustard.
I do like mustard, trust me, but most of the time I can take it or leave it. After taking one bite of this little burger, that mustard was like a drug. I needed it more. It seamlessly tied all of it together as if all of the components were married. I’m not gonna lie; I’m a mayo girl. I was itching to slather some on and pretend that I just put some mustard on there after the pictures. But, no.
Ally, the mustard – You’re brilliant.
If I’m gonna do it, I’m gonna do it right. – I made it, so I’m gonna taste it the way it’s supposed to taste. I fought the mayo urge and, damnit, it paid off. Now, one thing I did change was the bread. I put ’em on some yeast rolls. Yep, I made sliders instead of full size burgers, but it doesn’t change the awesomeness of this recipe.
Get her book today to go on a magical carpet ride and get some seriously beautiful recipes – Available online at Amazon and Barnes and Noble, also available May 12th in book stores.
To quote Ally – “It’s culinary artistry.”
Also, visit Ally’s Kitchen website, her Cookbook Trailer AND here’s her Blog Tour Page to see other bloggers’ reviews every day in May.
Here’s the printable-
Jamaican Jerk Burgers from Ally’s Kitchen
- 12 yeast rolls
- 6 tbsp soft butter
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 large white sweet onions, sliced in thing rings
- 1 large purple onion, sliced in thin rings
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 lbs. (85/15%) ground beef
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp. chopped capers
- 1/2 cup chopped, pitted deli black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
Serving and Garnish
- 1/3 cup classic or plain yellow mustard in a squeeze bottle
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 18 large whole leaves of butter bibb lettuce
- 4 large kosher dills (refrigerator type), cut into 18 rounds skewered on 6 toothpicks
- Coat grill with cooking spray, then heat to medium blaze.
- Before assembling burgers, butter the buns and place on grill to warm and toast them, about 5 minutes.
- Place buns in foil and remove to side to keep warm.
- In a heavy cast iron skillet over medium grill blaze, melt butter and add the onions, Worcestershire and salt.
- Saute until transleucent and caramelized; set aside for plating.
- Increase heat to 400-450.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, Jamaican Jerk seasoning, red chili flakes, capers, olives, pepperoni, sour cream, Worcestershire and shredded cheese.
- Working with your hands, form burger mixture into 12 equal sized patties.
- Coat both sides with cooking spray and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side.