Raise your hand if you like French Onion Dip!
Want it on a burger?
Of course you do –
Don’t kill me for posting another slider recipe. I’m not obsessed. Ok, well maybe I can’t promise that, but I’m not obsessed. Maybe I am a little when it comes to making versatile and extremely crazy untraditional burgers. But it comes in waves. I swear the next post will consist of a salad, chicken, or a maybe a dessert. Or something else. I think.
We’ll see – I have so many things in mind.
I grew up eating French onion dip. It was always a go to for summer cookouts and even holiday parties. I’ve tried to make it homemade, but I can’t get close enough to depthness of flavor that the onion soup mix has. I know – I’m sure it’s an over abundance of salt. I’ll keep trying.
These sliders are so deliciously onion-y, and the Havarti cheese is PERFECT. I think Muenster would work, too. We fell in love with Muenster cheese about three years ago and have been putting it on everything since. It’s a beautiful cheese.
In the instructions below I said to add onion dip to the bottom bun, but feel free to add the onion dip to the top of the bun as well. (I did.)
Here’s your printable-
- 1 packet french onion soup mix
- 1 16 oz container sour cream
- 1 large Vidalia or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package Hamburger buns
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Bibb, Green or Red leaf lettuce, washed and torn
- 8 oz. Havarti cheese, sliced (or the melty cheese of your choice)
- 3 tbsp salted butter, melted
- To make French onion dip, combine soup mix and sour cream in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Slice the onion into thin rings.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the onion rings and sprinkle with salt. Saute until translucent; about 10 minutes.
- Mix together the ground round, salt and Worcestershire and form into 4 patties and grill over medium high heat until done the way you like them.
- While the burgers are cooking, preheat oven to 425. Brush both sides of the buns with melted butter and toast in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until the buns are slightly brown.
- Add cheese slices and cover until melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- To assemble, spread French onion dip on the bun bottoms. Add a burger patty, caramelized onions and lettuce.
- Add the top bun and serve.