You know how there are those recipes you make that come to mind when you’re really, really hungry and you’re not willing to settle for any bullshit food.
You want FOOD. Like, I’ve worked my ass off all day, I’m starving.
Let’s eat NOW and it needs to be GOOD.
These fall into that category. I love them.
They’re the epitome of comfort food.
I usually like to add an obscene amount of mustard in lieu of the cheese sauce; but the cheese sauce I made this time was so good I had to share.
Is it obvious I’m hungry?
Here’s your printable-
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 4 Sub buns
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 stick butter, halved
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (I probably added a little more)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sausages on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool and quarter, then half.
- Over medium heat, melt one stick of butter.
- Add onions and bell pepper and sprinkle with sugar and salt, stirring until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce:
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk until combined.
- Slowly add milk, while whisking, then add salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Add cheeses and stir constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Build your subs by piling on the sausage, onions and peppers and cheese sauce