This is Challenge #4! It has been so much fun coming up with the ingredients, and seeing all the recipes whipped up by my foodie challengers.
This week’s ingredient is…..
So after we decided other ingredient….it got me wondering. What are dates? Where do they come from? I mean, I’ve heard of them, but never really dug into what a date is. Does it grow on a vine? a tree? in the ground? I know….I should already know this.
So I did a little reading and here’s what I found out:
- Dates grow on a tree called a date palm.
- Dates dry in stages – and if they are allowed to dry (or ripen) on the tree for a long time, they develop sugar crystals on the outside. Interesting…sun-made candy? Nope, apparently at this point it tastes pretty much like leather.
- Date trees can stay in production for over 60 years.
- Dates are really berries.
- They contain more than 20 different amino acids.
- They contain selenium, which lowers the risk of certain cancers, boosts immunity, and heart-healthy.For some reason, I was thinking there was a link between dates and figs?? Anyway, enough of the education.
Here’s a run-down of our Ingredient Challenge history – make sure to check out our recipes if you haven’t seen them yet so you can keep up 🙂
Ingredient Challenge #1 – Pomegranate
Ingredient Challenge #2 – Kale
Ingredient Challenge #3 – Quinoa
Here’s where you need to go to see all the recipes:
Check back on Monday and see what we come up with!
Happy Weekend –