I made for my daughter when she woke up on her 17th birthday. We have a tradition in our house – if it’s your birthday you get breakfast in bed; we’ve done this for years.
One of my favorite personal birthday memories is when my daughter woke me up with scrambled cheese eggs (her very first time making eggs BTW), bacon and toast, all PERFECTLY made. This girl is picky as all hell and hates any kind of meat, so I was blown away and definitely impressed.
I typically don’t get to experience the breakfast in bed thing because I get up before everyone else and that kind of made it impossible for them, so that was very special.
I made two batches of these – one with salted caramel nuts and one without. This is a recipe I found on Divas Can Cook. Who doesn’t like cinnamon rolls? Well, ok fine, I don’t love sweet things in the morning, but everybody else does so that’s what’s most important here.
These are easy, and although there’s a good amount of ingredients, they don’t require a lot of kneading or waiting. I hate that bullshit. I didn’t have buttermilk, so I substituted 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp vinegar and it worked out perfectly. I tend to do that a lot because I don’t keep buttermilk on hand.
The glaze is really good, but I did add a little water to mine to thin it out. This is the consistency I like –
You can play around with it and see what works for you.
Here’s your printable-
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ? cup buttermilk
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (may need more or less)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2-4 tablespoons milk (may need more or less)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Salted caramel nuts, crushed (optional)
- In a measuring cup stir together water, ¼ teaspoon sugar, and yeast.
- Let mixture sit for a few minutes until it's foamy.
- Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl.
- Add in ½ cup sugar, buttermilk, 2% milk, melted butter, canola oil, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Mix until combined.
- Mix in salt and baking powder.
- Gradually mix in the flour a little at a time, using just enough so that the dough pulls from the sides of the bowl. It will be slightly sticky but shouldn't stick to a clean fingertip.
- Once dough has formed place the ball of dough into a large, lightly greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the bowl in a warm location.
- Let sit for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Gently punch the dough down a few times to release the air.
- Sprinkle a work surface lightly with flour and turn dough onto floured surface.
- Knead the dough gently a couple of times and then pat the dough into a rectangle that is about ¼ inch thick.
- Brush the dough with half of the melted butter.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar & cinnamon.
- Sprinkle on half the brown sugar mixture.
- Brush again with butter and finish with remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Starting from the end furthest from you, begin tightly rolling up the dough.
- When done, place the roll seam-side down, and carefully slice the roll into 12 (1½-inch) sections.
- Place the rolls in a greased baking pan,sides touching.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm location to let rise.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sides of cinnamon rolls are lightly golden.
- While rolls are cooking, prepare the glaze by combining all cream cheese glaze ingredients in a bowl until smooth and silky.
- When cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, let cool for a few minutes and then spread on the glaze.
Adapted by divascancook.com
AmyDecember 24, 2015 at 5:00 PM
Just when I thought they couldn’t get any better.
Adam J. HollandDecember 24, 2015 at 9:20 AM
These are beautiful, Shea. ~ The only breakfast in bed that I get is when I bring a box of Cheez-Its to bed with me the night before and nibble on the crumbs the next morning. Happy Birthday to Baby Girl and Merry Christmas to all of you.
SheaDecember 24, 2015 at 9:34 AM
LOL!! – Thanks Adam and Merry Christmas to all of you, too.