I’m convinced if you gave me a hunk of tree limb (ok, small hunk), covered it in blue cheese and hot sauce I would eat it.
I’m that in love with that duo.
I’m going to get to that (recipe) in a minute…
But first, I want to rant for just a tiny sec. Do you mind? Ok, thanks.
My husband does not like blue cheese, but I will say – he’ll taste some of the things I make at times. I hate that – WTF! Who doesn’t like blue cheese?, but in the middle of gathering my thoughts to write this post I was quickly reminded of the things he does that are so selfless and sweet that have nothing to do with tasting my blue cheese and jalapeno concoctions. I just want to share with y’all.
Get your tissues. – Along with your popcorn and/or Chardonnay.
Can we really do anything without a damn snack? No, we’re fatass Americans.
Well, especially if we’re food bloggers we can’t do shit without food involved.
Anyway, let’s continue – because today I’ve listed the top 10 things I love about my husband.
Why, you wonder? Because I want to.
Top Ten Things I Love About My Husband
1. He makes me things from his own hands.
The man spent hours this last weekend working on a wood prop for me for my photography. I’ve shown him pictures of things I would really like to do and one day he came home and told me to come outside – he had these wooden planks. Perfectly old, distressed and so shabby chic. Oh, the picture below is the finished product by the way.
For the love of God why wouldn’t I appreciate that. By the way, he doesn’t give two shits about blogging, photography, or even food that falls out of the range of lightly salted chicken, plain ass fish or maybe sushi with low sodium soy sauce. Bless his heart. But he loves me. And the wood is sooo beautiful!!
2. He hurts when the kids hurt.
Katie got her wisdom teeth removed a few months ago- she had to eat ice cream, right? He endured that pain right along side her…God love him.
Somebody had to do that shit. I know it just killed him to eat all that ice cream – he really took one for the team.
3. He puts up with Jackson.
You see, Jackson is our “Elf on a Shelf” that happens to be part of this family. Listen, he isn’t going anywhere, I mean seriously I might as well have breast fed the little bastard. Mark actually joins in on the fun now. To the point that we made this:
THE MOST inappropriate Elf On A Shelf…
Jackson is such a whore.
4. He’s cool with my crazy gifts.
So for this one, I had someone come into the house and sing him a song for Father’s Day.
I did it.
Yep, singing telegram damnit. What do you give a man that goes out and randomly buys cars at will?
You see my point.
5. He plays with the kids and their friends.
Yes, that’s a tractor. Listen, the kids’ friends love him. No matter what they say behind our backs. They’re teenagers – what do you expect?
6. He doesn’t make a big deal that my first Instagram pic was of him and I had no idea that I had even posted it.
But my girls at BeBetsy do.
Ok, I know. So, let’s not tell him. Sssshhh.
7. He gives me bling.
We don’t give them a choice overall, ladies, to do this even if we have to be a bitch about it, but when they pick it out themselves it has real meaning. Can’t deny that.
We all love bling.
8. He loves Saturday Night Live, Dave Chappelle, crazy shit and to just laugh. Period.The.End. Our best memories are laughing until it hurts.
Even if we’re laughing through tears.
9. He’s the best at “Reverse Pics” – Who knew?
10. He loves me and he loves our children.
And I love him.
Here’s the broccoli recipe!
- 1 lb broccoli stems, washed and chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder (You can use less if you're a wuss)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 oz package blue cheese
- 4 oz package Fontina cheese
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- Cook broccoli however you like to - steam it, roast it, or even buy a couple of those steam-in-the-microwave bags. (I roasted mine on a baking sheet at 425 for about 10 minutes or so until slightly brown.)
- Whisk together garlic powder through butter in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat milk over medium heat in a sauce pan; add cheeses and stir to combine.
- Add the garlic/butter mixture to the pan and whisk together, stirring until melted and hot.
- Pour over broccoli and serve.
If you’re a blue cheese fan you’ll cherish it 🙂
Sharon Glanville at BeBetsyMay 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Shea, I love this post. You are so lucky to have such a beautiful family – and what a cute husband and kids! and I LOVE Blue Cheese!! xo
Dixie ChikMay 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Thanks Sharon!! xoxo
simiMarch 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Such a beautiful post…a keeper for sure !! I LOVE the distressed fence and have been lookin with no luck 🙁
i love the broccoli and cheese – no fuss !!
Dixie ChikMarch 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Thanks so much – it’s divine.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.comMarch 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM
He’s definitely a keeper!!
ps: We hate blue cheese too. Really 😀
Dixie ChikMarch 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I don’t understand all the hatred of blue cheese!! lol – Thanks Kiran!
Nichole CMarch 12, 2013 at 3:51 AM
I’m dying laughing at #3!! And I can’t wait to make this broccoli.
Dixie ChikMarch 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Thank you Nichole!