Today was my Monday. I work tomorrow.
And the next.
Anyway, now that I have that off my chest, here’s a fun little recipe to add to your regular dinner rotation. I’m pretty proud of these. It’s a big pretzel-y salty pillow of cheesy spaghetti. It’s big, fat salty pretzel balls filled with spaghetti in meat sauce and mozzarella.
I mean, what could be better than that?
– I used half all purpose flour and half bread flour and only used 4 cups instead of 4 1/2.
– I was out of granulated sugar so I used two tsp. of powdered. Crazy, I know. But it worked.
Spaghetti with meat sauce is something everybody makes on a regular basis. We all make our sauces differently and everyone has their own unique version, but it’s definitely a dinner staple. I’ve learned SO much by making my sauce over the years. Sometimes it’s a major hit, and sometimes I ruin the shit out of it by getting too crazy with my experiments. It’s all part of it, right?
There’s a few things I’ve learned just by trial and error that I don’t veer far from. (In case you’re interested).
1) I don’t use the very leanest cut of meat, but I definitely don’t use the fat ass meat, either. I do think you need a little fat for flavor. If you end up using cheap ground beef, make sure you DRAIN IT! Trust me, if it’s the fatty meat, it will continue to ooze a little more fat. I typically use 80/20, but 70/30 works, with some draining.
2) I usually add about 1/4 cup of full bodied red wine – like Cabernet or Shiraz. Shiraz is my favorite to use. It adds a depth to the flavor that I just can’t explain other than it tastes so damn good. Trust me.
3) I also add a splash of red wine or balsamic vinegar. Again, I can’t explain what it does other than it adds a little kick that you won’t get from anything else. Add this when your sauce has been simmering for a while and you’re about ready to serve it.
4) Don’t over salt! Taste, taste, and keep tasting. The longer your sauce cooks, the more your flavors will come together. You don’t want to ruin a whole batch of sauce by getting batshit crazy with the salt shaker. It’s just not worth it. Trust me, I’ve done it.
Now, I know this definitely looks like a big fat mess. But it’s a delicious mess.