This definitely is not your mama’s Strawberry Shortcake. Sometimes things need to be shaken up a bit.
I took the traditional version and stuffed it with dark chocolate. See how pretty it is here?
Now, when you cut into it melted chocolate pours out like lava.
I realize this looks like a hot mess, but once you cut into it there’s not a lot of controlling it. But trust me when I say it’s absolutely delicious, and I definitely think dark chocolate is the way to go here. I didn’t try using milk chocolate, but there’s just something about the edginess of it that works.
This is coming from a girl that doesn’t really care a whole lot for desserts.
I used Wilton’s Mini Tasty Fill cake pans, which gives you a mini cake with an inverted center – but it is not necessary. I made the recipe again baking the batter in a 9×11 cake pan. I cut them into squares, placed a handful of chocolate chips on top of one square, then topped it with another. Some of the chocolate seeps into the cake (not a bad thing!), but you get the same taste.
You’ll love it. The dark chocolate pairs beautifully with ripe strawberries.
This post was sponsored by Driscoll’s. All opinions expressed are my own.
Molten Lava Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 lb Driscoll's strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips (or bar, broken into pieces)
- Whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Combine strawberries, sugar and milk, place in a gallon size zip lock bag and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl of your stand mixer on low mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add heavy cream and mix until combined.
- Spray mini cake pans (or one 9x11 pan) with nonstick spray and add batter to each one, filling about halfway.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until done.
- Melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time and stirring in between, until melted.
- Invert each cake (with the inverted center facing up) on a plate and place about a tablespoon of chocolate chips into the center of one, and top with another cake.
- Spoon strawberries over the top, drizzle melted chocolate and top with whipped cream.