Sometimes the craziest things are paired.
-Bacon and brown sugar (I love that one).
-Cheese and apple pie. WTF is up with that – that’s just weird – #northernshit.
-Mustard on bologna sandwiches. Who does that?? Oh, wait, Adam Holland does.
-Toothpaste and orange juice. Yeah, that sucks ass.
-Burritos with rice. Sorry, for some reason that combination has always grossed me out even though I love both burritos and rice. Maybe it’s that double starch thing.
This crazy combo, however, works.
Coffee and Beef. Yes, I said coffee.
I soooo rubbed some fresh ground beef and Italian sausage all up in some ground hazelnut coffee. And sea salt. And pepper. It’s hard to describe to you what the coffee does as far as flavor, because it’s so different and complex.
You just gotta trust me.
Make sure that you don’t use fat free or low fat mayo – you’ll need the full fatness here to compliment the coffee. And with the Sriracha – Oh.My.
Also, don’t over cook it; a good medium is perfect for this.
This is SO off the charts crazy good.
I rubbed a burger with coffee.
And I liked it.
- 1/2 lb. ground round
- 1/2 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Door County Hazelnut Creme flavored ground coffee
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup greens (I used micro greens)
- Sriracha sauce
- 6 burger buns
- Bring the the ground round and sausage to room temp and combine thoroughly; shape into small burgers.
- Toss the salt, pepper, brown sugar and coffee together and roll the burgers in it until covered.
- Grill, broil or pan fry.
- Top burgers with mayo, tomato, Sriracha and greens.