I’m thinking it’s definitely soup time.
At the time I’m writing this, it’s 33 degrees here in B’ham, and according to Weather.com it “feels like” 28 for God’s sake.
I cannot stand this weather. Where’s my 85 degrees? I know most of you hate all that sweating, humidity and getting in a hot car and everything that comes along with summer but it’s my favorite. I just don’t get people that love cold weather – it’s so uncomfortable, so inconvenient and wearing layers is such a pain in the ass. I also hate chattering my teeth while driving to work.
It just recently started getting cold, but this is Alabama and the weather can change daily. We could very well end up wearing shorts during Christmas.
But when it’s cold warm, comforting soup is a necessity. This butternut squash soup is soooo perfect for days like this. And, I added these cute little grilled cheese croutons – which are simply grilled cheese sandwiches on Rye bread cut into cubes.
It definitely adds to the cuteness factor, not to mention the yum factor.
Here’s your printable-
Butternut Squash Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 2 butternut squash, sliced in half vertically
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 4 fresh Rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup whole cream
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Rye bread slices
- Salted butter
- Muenster cheese slices
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the squash, onion and garlic cloves on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour, until the squash is tender, but removing the onion and garlic after 15 minutes.
- Pulse the squash, onion, garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs in a food processor until smooth.
- Put soup ingredients in a dutch oven and bring to a slow boil over medium high heat. Reduce to low and cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Butter one side of each bread slice, add a cheese slice to each and top with another buttered bread slice.
- Grill over medium heat in a saute pan 2 minutes on each side, until cheese is melted and bread is nice and brown. But into small squares.
- Serve soup with grilled cheese croutons and swirl soup with whole cream.
Here’s a few links to some of my soups to warm you up until the summer graces us with its presence again –
Sherried Tomato Soup
Ranch Chicken Chili
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup