You might think this is crazy.
It’s a waffle panini. You’ll like it, I promise.
If you think I’m off the charts with this, I saw a bbq pork slider made with little donuts yesterday on Pinterest. Don’t get me wrong; it looked delicious.
You know that crazy addictive ginger salad dressing at Japanese/Hibachi restaurants that everybody loves? About two years ago I discovered Makato (it’s a brand) at Publix and I’ve been an obsessed since. I could drink it.
I’ve drenched it over chicken and grilled it, sauteed broccoli in it, used it as a dip for vegetables, etc. I could go on and on.
This panini consists of shredded chicken tender thighs, slaw made with that luscious ginger dressing and fresh cilantro in between two savory waffles.
In a good way.
I had to dip mine in extra dressing.
- 1 batch of waffles - click here for recipe. (Make these ahead of time.)
- 1 lb. chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 bag slaw mix (with carrots)
- Bottled ginger dressing (like Makato)
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Combine soy sauce through sesame oil and place chicken in a large zip lock bag with marinade.
- Refrigerate at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake chicken for 25-30 minutes, until done. Let cool and shred.
- Mix the slaw with enough dressing to suit your taste - I'm not giving a measurement; you may want a little or a lot.
- Assemble the panini, on one waffle pile shredded chicken, slaw and cilantro and top with another waffle.
- Grill in a panini maker or in a pan on the stovetop.